Saturday, May 28, 2011

Berthold's Nursery

I visited Berthold's ten days ago to make an inquiry about garden soil to be delivered at my house. Honestly, I could have just called but really I wanted to see what plants they have on display. So I drove there right after I dropped my daughter off to school. They are located in Devon Road in Elk Grove Village and it is about 10 minutes away from my house.

Inside the building, I was greeted by Anne, one of their friendly staffs. She has worked at Berthold's for 27 years and she will be retiring soon. She has professionally answered all of my inquiries and I told her I will be back. Yesterday, I did and placed the order and early this morning, the garden soil was delivered.


All sorts of stuff for gardening.

Outside, hostas and different varieties of perennials are on display.

Plants galore.

Some groundcovers...

and some more groundcovers.

Roses

Perennials

In this building is where they conduct seminars. I am attending "Shade Gardening" on June 25th. This year they have scheduled thirteen seminars from May to November.


I bought two Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow'. This one has stunning foliage. It is interesting to know that this Euphorbia is from Australia, discovered by David Glenn.

I also bought Fantasy Island, a small hosta. Having half a dozen each of Sum and Substance and Blue Angel, a couple of Sagae and other biggie hostas, I took Carolyn's advice at Carolyn's Shade Gardens. I grow hundred plus varieties of hostas and most of them are biggies. So small hostas (or minis) are the way to go if I wanted to add some more to my collection as I am running out of room. Last year, I did not buy any hosta at all and bought tons of lilies instead.

2 comments:

Bom said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun shopping there, Lily. I like the windmill touch.

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Looks like a great place to shop! I could probably spend hours there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...