Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cherry Plum Tree

While looking through some of the photos that I took during the 2011 gardening season, I came across a few photos of my neighbor's tree. She has this tree growing in her front yard. She bought it fifteen years ago when she first moved in her house and she doesn't know its ID. I did a research and thought of sharing it with you, my dear readers.

From the information that I got from the net, Prunus cerasifera (Cherry Plum) has a few cultivars:

'Atropurpurea'aka 'Pissardii' has nearly white flowers and purple foliage.

'Thundercloud' has pink flowers and reddish-purple foliage. The most common variety in commerce.

'Newport' has pink flowers and purple foliage and is hardy to some areas in zone 4.

'Mt. St. Helens', a sport of 'Newport', has pink flowers and purple foliage.

'Krauter Vesuvius', white flowers and a rare variant mainly found in Northern California.



I think her tree is 'Thundercloud'. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...